UK judge says Tunisia police 'shambolic' during beach attack

FILE - This is a Saturday, June 27, 2015 file photo of a young woman as she lays a flowers at the scene of a deadly gun attack in Sousse, Tunisia. A British coroner says the Tunisian police response to a deadly gun attack on the beach resort of Sousse was "at best shambolic, at worst cowardly." Judge Nicholas Lorraine-Smith is delivering his findings Tuesday Feb. 28, 2017 at an inquest into the deaths of 30 British tourists killed in the June 2015 attack at the five-star Riu Imperial Marhaba hotel. (AP Photo/Darko Vojinovic/File)
Lawyer Kylie Hutchison, centre, reads out a statement on behalf of relatives of the victims of a deadly gun attack in Tunisia, outside the Royal Courts of Justice in London Tuesday Feb. 28, 2017 . The coroner said the Tunisian police response to a deadly gun attack on the beach resort of Sousse was "at best shambolic, at worst cowardly." Judge Nicholas Lorraine-Smith is delivering his findings Tuesday at an inquest into the deaths of 30 British tourists killed in the June 2015 attack at the five-star Riu Imperial Marhaba hotel. (Kirsty O'Connor/PA via AP)
FILE - This is a Friday, June 26, 2015 file photo of an injured person being treated on a Tunisian beach, in Sousse Tunisia. A British coroner said the Tunisian police response to a deadly gun attack on the beach resort of Sousse was "at best shambolic, at worst cowardly." Judge Nicholas Lorraine-Smith is delivering his findings Tuesday Feb. 28, 2017 at an inquest into the deaths of 30 British tourists killed in the June 2015 attack at the five-star Riu Imperial Marhaba hotel. (Jawhare FM/File via AP)
Managing Director of travel company Tui Nick Longman reads a statement abouta deadly gun attack in Tunisia outside the Royal Courts of Justice in London Tuesday Feb. 28, 2017 . The coroner said the Tunisian police response to a deadly gun attack on the beach resort of Sousse was "at best shambolic, at worst cowardly." Judge Nicholas Lorraine-Smith is delivering his findings Tuesday at an inquest into the deaths of 30 British tourists killed in the June 2015 attack at the five-star Riu Imperial Marhaba hotel. (Kirsty O'Connor/PA via AP)

LONDON — The Tunisian police response to a deadly gun attack on a popular beach resort was "at best shambolic, at worst cowardly," a British judge said Tuesday as he ruled that 30 British tourists had been unlawfully killed by an extremist gunman.

Judge Nicholas Loraine-Smith presided over a coroner's inquest into the deaths of Britons in the June 2015 attack at the five-star Riu Imperial Marhaba hotel in Sousse.

In all, 38 people were killed by Seifeddine Rezgui, who shot sunbathers on the hotel's private beach and threw grenades before continuing his rampage on the hotel grounds and its main building.

The Islamic State group claimed responsibility for the attack.

In Britain, inquests are held to establish the facts in cases of violent or unexplained deaths.

The judge rejected calls from victims' lawyers to issue a finding of neglect by travel firms and hotels. He said the law of neglect does not cover tourists who voluntarily agree to go on holiday.

"The simple but tragic truth in this case is that a gunman armed with a gun and grenades went to that hotel intending to kill as many tourists as he could," the judge said.

He said local police were responsible for security, and "their response could and should have been effective."

"The response by the police was at best shambolic, at worst cowardly," he added.

Tunisian authorities have identified six police officers they want to send to trial for deliberately failing to help victims, according to anti-terrorism court spokesman Sofiane Selliti.

The British coroner said the response of hotel staff was "disorganized and chaotic," but some staff members had displayed "conspicuous personal courage" in efforts to protect the guests.

A lawyer for some of the victims' families said they planned a civil lawsuit against tour operator TUI.

The families allege that too little was done to warn tourists about dangers in Tunisia, which has seen several deadly attacks by Islamic extremists. An attack on the Bardo Museum in Tunis three months before the Sousse shootings killed 22 people, including one Briton.

___

Bouazza ben Bouazza in Tunis, Tunisia, contributed to this story.

You may also interested in

EU citizens in UK anxiously seek security before...

Mar 19, 2017

German neuroscientist Sam Schwarzkopf was startled to receive a letter from the British government...

UK: Attacker used WhatsApp, firm must help police...

Mar 26, 2017

A top British official says Westminster Bridge attacker Khalid Masood sent a WhatsApp message that...

Log in, look out: Cyber chaos may grow at...

May 15, 2017

Employees booting up computers at work Monday could see red as they discover they're victims of a...

Markets keep cyberattack and North Korea concerns...

May 15, 2017

Financial markets on Monday brushed aside worries over the "WannaCry" ransomware cyberattack, with...

Study: Taking abortion pill at home as safe as in...

May 17, 2017

Medical abortions done at home with online help and pills sent in the mail appear to be just as...

Sign up now!

About Us

Future Science Today reports on captivating developments in science, medicine, technology, and the world around us.

Contact us: sales[at]futuresciencetoday.com